Report of Trip to Kenwood House

Our coach trip to Kenwood House in Hampstead, London, on 20th June 2022 started out from Sudbury on a grey day. We arrived in time for some of our members to join a guided tour of this neo-classical villa built in 17th Century and home to the Earls of Mansfield until 1925.

The house and grounds were saved from redevelopment by the brewing tycoon Edward Cecil Guinness, first Earl of Iveagh (1847 – 1927). Lord Iveagh bequeathed Kenwood and the surrounding Estate to the nation for the public to enjoy ….”preserved as a fine example of the artistic home of a gentleman of the eighteenth century”.

The rest of our group enjoyed viewing the house at leisure, admiring the Adams architecture and the many masterpieces by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Van Dyck, Gainsborough, Reynolds and Turner. There were interesting displays of miniatures and even Berlin iron jewellery, which became popular as mourning jewellery.  

In the afternoon, the sun came out and we could appreciate the wonderful display of rhododendrons in the surrounding park and enjoy a visit (or two !) to the café. Some of our group even found the spectacular view over London near the house although it was not well signposted. All in all, a Grand Day Out.

Below is a slide-show of some of the photos taken by two members.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *